THE FORMER CONVENT OF THE SISTERS OF JESUS & MARY
The Sisters of Jesus and Mary came from Sillery, Quebec in 1916. The main building opened in 1918 and the North and South wings were added in 1926. The Convent served as a residence for the nuns and female boarders. During the 1960s, enrolment at the school exceeded 700 students!
The convent is 90,000 square feet and four stories high. It features a Mansard roof with dormers, a rose window, Claybank bricks, Tyndal stone, and a cupola-like school bell. The chapel in the North wing is a must see and wonderful place to host a wedding reception, indoor market, or community event.
The convent operated as a public school until 2015. Currently under the care of the Town, the main floor is home to the Gravelbourg Community Music Centre, the Gravelbourg Artisan Co-op, three creative studio spaces, several aesthetic services, and a yoga studio. The Town hopes to find a way to repurpose this magnificent building.
Convent tours are available year-round. Please contact the museum at (306) 648-2332 or (306) 648-7030.
For all other inquiries, please contact the Town of Gravelbourg at (306) 648-3301.