Gravelbourg is well know in the region for its Ecclesiastical Buildings National Historic Site which includes Our Lady of the Assumption Co-Cathedral Notre Dame l’Assomption, the Bishop’s Residence, and the former Couvent Jesus-Marie Convent. For more information on the Gravelbourg Ecclesiastical Buildings National Historic Site of Canada, please visit Canada's Historic Places.
Our Lady of the Assumption Co-Catheral
Gravelbourg in the region for its Ecclesiastical Buildings National Historic Site which includes Our Lady of the Assumption Co-Cathedral Notre Dame l’Assomption, the Bishop’s Residence, and the former Couvent Jesus-Marie Convent. Constructed in 1919, the Cathedral is renowned for its striking Claybank brick exterior, Tyndal stone, beautiful murals, and stained glass windows. The murals depict the stations of the cross, the sins of the world, and the life and death of the Cathedral’s original patron Saint, Philomena. And who was the artist? None other than Monsignor Charles Maillard, the resident priest. Between 1921 and 1931, Msgr. Maillard transformed the interior of the Cathedral into a work of art that is truly exceptional and unexpected in southwest Saskatchewan.
Tours available year-round. Contact Louis Stringer at (306) 650-8228.
Lean all about the history and art of the Co-cathedral by visiting www.gravelbourgcocathedral.com. If you would like to donate to the preservation of this magnificent and historic building, please visit the South Saskatchewan Community Foundation.
The Former Convent of Jesus & Mary
The Sisters of Jesus and Mary came from Sillery, Quebec in 1916. The main building opened in 1918 and the North and South wings were added in 1926. The Convent served as both a school and a residence for the nuns and female boarders. During the 1960s, enrolment exceeded 700 students!
The convent is over 75,000 square feet and four storeys high. It features a Mansard roof with dormers, a rose window, Claybank bricks, Tyndal stone, and a cupola-like school bell. The chapel in the North wing is a must see and wonderful place to host a wedding reception, market, or community event.
The convent operated as a public school until 2015. Currently under the care of the Town, the chapel is available to rent as an event venue.
Convent tours are available year-round. Please contact the museum at (306) 648-2332 (July-August) or (306) 648-7030.
For all other inquiries or opportunities please contact the Economic Development Office at (306) 648-3301 x4.
The Historic Bishop's Residence / The Palace Bed & Breakfast
The three-storey, brick structure was originally built as a rectory in 1918 and became the Bishop's official residence in 1930. The former residence is one of the largest in the community and is an example of the Classical Revival architectural style that was popular throughout North America in the early 1900's. Its semi-circular porch, two-storey bay windows, and Claybank brick structure reflect the Church's prominence in the community.
The newly renovated Bishop's residence is now The Pallace Bed & Breakfast, owned and opperated by the Lepage family. There are 7 rooms in total, all of which either have queen or king size beds. Four bedrooms have 3 or 4 piece ensuites and three bedrooms have a shared bathroom. The grounds can also accommodate campers with outlets for power, a bonus for the many family reunions hosted at Palace.